Monday, June 9, 2008

Chocolate Milk in a Martini Glass: Part I by Meaghan




Last year the whole Kelly team went on a Carnival Cruise, and this year we sailed on Royal Caribbean. Surprisingly, Royal Caribbean was not so different from Carnival. They both had fabulous dining rooms, and fun things to do around the ship. While Royal Caribbean made more stops, Carnival had more shows, bingo opportunities, and fun things to do around the ship.
Getting on our ship, Majesty of the Seas, was no problem. We were usually at the head of the line, and luckily the lines just kept on moving. By the time we got on the ship, it was lunchtime. Everyone was so excited to finally be on the ship, since we go on it every year and it is always a blast. We ate lunch in the Windjammer Marketplace, the Majesty’s breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffet. There were all sorts of pasta, salads, pizza, you name it. There was even a Deli and a Johnny Rockets onboard!
After lunch, we went to an informational shopping show. I don’t know about the rest of the family, but I just went to enter the raffle and get my free charm bracelet (which you only got a coupon for so you could buy other stuff in the store.). All I can say about the show was that the whole ship LOVED Diamonds International. You couldn’t go 5 seconds without hearing the words “Diamonds International” at least 2 times.
After that, we went back to our cabins to put our stuff down. This time we had 2 cabins instead of 1. We were expecting it to be A LOT bigger than it actually was. One cabin, the one for me, my dad, and my sister Hannah, had 2 beds on the floor and 2 bunks. The other cabin, the one for my mom and my sister, Alyssa, only had 2 beds, had a porthole, and was bigger than the other cabin. After we figured out the keys, we went to go freshen up for the cocktail party.
Since the cruise was a business trip for the Make-A-Wish staff & board, we had to go to a cocktail party every day. The first day the party was in a lounge overlooking the pool. The second day it was in the Boleros lounge, and the third day it was in the Schooner bar. After the party, we went in the Moonlight Dining Room. Since we had dropped Hannah off at the kids club previously, there was only one seat left next to my dad, which my mom took. My sister and I sat at a table all by ourselves. At the end, one of my dad’s friends complimented us on how well we ordered, and how we didn’t order dessert for every course. The next 2 days, that was the only table big enough for all 5 of us, since Hannah didn’t go to the kids club anymore. Our waiter, Calin, was fabulous and so was the assistant waiter. He showed us a magic trick with toothpicks that was very cool.
The next day we went to the beach on Royal Caribbean’s private island, CocoCay, and we checked out the straw market. When we stopped in Nassau, instead of getting off the ship (we already saw Nassau last year) went in the pool and hot tub. We saw a show called “Boogie Wonderland” that brought you back to the 70s. Hannah fell asleep in the middle, and when she woke up the show was over. She started screaming her head off. We finally had to drag her outside and have my dad calm her down. The one experience I will never forget, though, is the second cocktail party, the whole story behind the title of this Blog, and the reason why I’m scarred for life.
One thing you should know about Hannah is that it is all about the chocolate milk. Occasionally she will drink water, but usually she wont rest until she has her precious chocolate milk. While we were sitting down, my mom asked the waiter for chocolate milk. The waiter came back with what we thought was chocolate milk in a martini glass.
While Hannah was playing with a new friend, I was watching the chocolate milk. It looked like it was about to spill, so I took a big gulp of it. Little did I know that it was actually a chocolate martini! My mom and I rushed down to the Windjammer to get a cookie and some regular chocolate milk. I will never drink again in my lifetime, even when I am of age. I still, to this day, have the chocolate martini taste in my mouth!
Getting off the ship was just as smooth as getting on, but with a lot less excitement. We are excited to go on the next cruise, even though it is in a very long time. It’s never too early to start counting down!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Meaghan -

That was a great post. I have to tell you that I laughed out loud at the part where you were "scarred for life" - and I NEVER laugh out loud at things; just kind of chuckle!

Fabulous writing, too.

:) said...

I want to know how your mom and Alyssa got lucky enough to get the bigger room when they were the smaller group?

You shoulda packed up that chocolate martini and sent it home to me! I wonder what would have happened if Hannah had taken a sip?